Low-Fat Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

May 13, 2009

IMG_2239

I don’t like eating the same thing for breakfast every day. My husband ate frozen waffles for breakfast pretty much every day for two years straight – no joke! Not me, though. Every couple of weeks I like to switch it up so I have something to look forward to in the morning.

A little while ago I came across a recipe for Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins on Joy the Baker’s website. I like oatmeal, I like applesauce, I like blueberries, and I love muffins, so she had me with the title. As I read about the recipe, though, I realized these weren’t your ordinary blueberry muffins.

First of all, they’re low-fat. Second, they’re made with whole grains.

IMG_2221

As much as I loved sound of the title ingredients together, I started to have doubts. Low-fat AND whole grain? Were these going to end up flavorless, bland hockey pucks?

Only one way to find out!

I have to say, Joy, I’m sorry I ever doubted your recipe. I LOVED these muffins! Seriously. I have not shut up about them since I made them. I’ve told my mom, my boss and my best friend about them. And I’ve since eaten all but one of them myself. The whole grains give the muffins a hearty, satisfying taste and the blueberries are the perfect burst of sweetness. The applesauce keeps them moist, and oh, the cinnamon. The cinnamon was my favorite part of this recipe. When they’re warm, the aroma of the cinnamon hits your nose and it’s like that feeling when you first sink into a hot tub, instantly warm and relaxing.

I loved them so much, I just might eat them for breakfast every day for the next two years.

IMG_2242

Low-Fat Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Makes 12 muffins

Any oats will work, but use old fashioned or steel cut oats for a heartier texture. Made with whole grains and very little fat, these muffins are a guilt free breakfast treat! Go ahead, eat a second one – they’re good for you :)

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat or non-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. If you plan on eating them straight out of the oven, give the liners a spritz of cooking spray so the muffins won’t stick.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg in a medium bowl. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture, stirring until just moist. (Don’t over mix them! The batter will be thicker than your average muffin batter.) Carefully fold in blueberries.

Spoon the batter into muffin cups. Bake at 375°F for 16-18 minutes.

1. May 13, 2009 10:34 am

Great recipe, healthy ingredients and very attractive pictures!

2. May 13, 2009 10:56 am

Your muffins turned out just lovely! I’m so glad you like the recipe. You’re totally right, definitely splurge with two or three of these for breakfast. They’re that good!

3. May 13, 2009 3:46 pm

I have everything in the house BUT the buttermilk. I may need to go get that so i can try these out. Considering I just picked up 3 containers of blueberries for no reason whatsoever… this might be the perfect use for them!

May 13, 2009 3:53 pm

These muffins are the perfect use for your blueberries! Go buy some buttermilk! :)

4. MysticSands permalink
    May 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Oh la la !!

I have to tell you that I’ve had for the past two years the same breakfast, then a month ago I changed it completely and now I enjoy trying out new things (the only thing that remains : fresh orange juice) and I love muffins and when I got to see your photos : voilà a perfect idea for breakfast, merci ;-)

I’m going shopping tomorrow, I’ll get the buttermilk

No cinnamon, I hate it ;-)

I just read your previous article about pine nuts and I’d like to share something with you about “toxic food” : the rule is no Canola Oil for cooking – in France it’s prohibited for the industrials who sell “cooked food” (such as brownies, cookies, etc.) You can use it as a vinaigrette (cold) but you don’t cook it (something to do with trans fat food and how it turns toxic)
    We use olive oil instead that reacts really well to cooking (heat). But I’m no scientist, I’m just telling you what the doctors say, and olive oil tastes much better ;-)

I hope you got rid of that bitter taste !

Thank you and keep up the good work !

5. A.N. permalink
    May 14, 2009 12:13 pm

I just made these this morning- delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I went to the original blog and bookmarked that too.

Funny that you say “go ahead- eat a second one” because I ate at least three in one sitting.

6. May 14, 2009 3:04 pm

For a health group activity I’m participating in, we have to find a healthy recipe to share with everyone. I’m going to share this muffin recipe. Sounds perfect – and delicious!