Sinfully Dark Chocolate Brownies

August 19, 2009

I made my first batch of brownies from scratch a few months ago. The Peanut Butter & Nutella brownies were delicious, but not quite what I usually want in a brownie.

I like my brownies dark, rich, and full of chocolate flavor without being overwhelmed by sugary sweetness.

Sinfully Dark Chocolate Brownies

These Sinfully Dark Chocolate Brownies came together somewhat by accident. I had it in my head for over a week that I wanted to make some brownies, and the recipe for King Arthur’s Flour Fudge Brownies kept coming up over and over again, with rave reviews. The day before I was ready to make the brownies, I picked up some 100% dark cocoa on a whim.

What? Some people buy shoes or purses, I buy chocolate.

Some of the reviews for the original recipe complained of over-sweetness, so knowing that I don’t like overly sweet brownies, I decided to use the extra dark cocoa and cut back the sugar in my version. The resulting brownies are irresistible. They are fudgy and cakey, super moist and deeply chocolate, with that beautiful crackly crust essential in a good brownie. These brownies are rich, satisfying and calorie laden – basically, exactly what I look for in a good brownie!

Sinfully Dark Chocolate Brownies

Sinfully Dark Chocolate Brownies

Printable Recipe
Adapted from King Arthur’s Flour
Makes 9-12 brownies in an 8×8 pan

These brownies are very dark in flavor and in color, so may not be best suited for people who like sweeter brownies, like kids. Take note, this recipe is a little bit unusual in that it adds the flour to the other ingredients last – but don’t worry, if you stir in the flour earlier by accident (like I did) they will still come out OK. And as tempting as it will be to eat them straight out of the oven, let the brownies cool before removing them from the pan. They are very moist and tender, and will hold together better once cool.

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 heaping (a little more than) cup sugar
2 large eggs
scant (a little less than) 3/4 cups 100% dark cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1½-2 ounces of dark (60-70%) chocolate, chopped (or about 1 cup dark chocolate chips)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 8″ x 8″ pan.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat (or in the microwave) then remove from heat. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the butter mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it’s hot, but not bubbling. It will get shiney as you stir it. (According to King Arthur’s Flour, this step will dissolve more of the sugar, creating the crackly shiny crust on top of your brownies.)

In a smaller bowl, crack 2 eggs and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla till smooth.

Stir the hot butter mixture into the egg mixture until smooth.

Stir in the flour and chocolate chunks (or chips) until just combined. (Note: If you want the chips to remain intact in the baked brownies, rather than melting in, let the batter cool in the bowl for about 20 minutes before stirring in the chips.)

Pour the batter into a lightly greased 8″ x 8″ pan and bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean, with some moist crumbs but no loose batter. Cool on a rack before serving.

1. August 19, 2009 10:06 am

I loved the fudgyness of this KA recipe too! But I didn’t quite get the shiny crackly crust they boasted about, so I turned to Sue Lawrence’s dark muscovado brownies for the shiny crackly crust :P

August 19, 2009 10:11 am

I saw your recipe for muscovado brownies and was seriously tempted to make those instead, but I have yet to get my hands on some muscovado sugar. Rest assured, as soon as I find some I will be trying your recipe! :)

2. August 19, 2009 10:28 am

HOLY YUM!

3. August 19, 2009 4:24 pm

I love this recipe!…well with the regular amount of sugar and regular cocoa. I guess I like sweet brownies because they didn’t seem overly sweet to me. Even my students loved them when I made them a long time ago.

The good thing about cooking/baking your own food is that you can adjust the recipe to your tastes. Your brownies look so yummy!

4. August 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Wow – these do look positively irresistible!

5. August 19, 2009 6:57 pm

I LOVE Hershey’s Special Dark chips! I swear I just eat them out of the bag while baking with them. SO good!

August 19, 2009 7:06 pm

I’ve never had the Hershey’s special dark chips, but I eat Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chips straight out of the bag all the time!

6. August 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Wow. These look incredible. I love brownies with dark chocolate. These look so fudgy and delicious.

7. genie permalink
    August 19, 2009 11:30 pm

these look fabulous! you mention espresso powder in the recipe, but do not mention an amount. how much do you suggest?

thanks!

August 20, 2009 8:15 am

Oops! I meant to take that out because I didn’t actually use any in my version of the recipe. The original recipe calls for ½ teaspoon of espresso powder for a batch this size, or 1 teaspoon of espresso powder for a full 9×13″ batch.

8. August 20, 2009 3:52 pm

These look unreal! I want one!

9. August 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Oh, sinful indeed! Those look amazing. I’d like mine w/ a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, then drizzled w/ hot caramel sauce :)

August 22, 2009 8:43 pm

These brownies would be perfect for that! I wanted to photograph one with some vanilla ice cream, but uhm, I ate them all before I got the chance :)

10. August 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Just bookmarked and stumbled these. They look so moist and fudgy, those are always the best kind of brownies!

August 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks so much Emily! :)

11. Jasmine permalink
    August 23, 2009 11:11 am

I made these last night and they turned out great! They are so chocolatey and satisfying. The recipe is super simple and easy. This was my first “from scratch” brownie success (until now even out the box brownies were major failures). Thanks for helping me turn a new brownie baking leaf!

August 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks for letting me know how they turned out! I’m glad you liked the recipe, and that you’re finally having success with brownies. :)

12. Kairu Yao permalink
    August 25, 2009 12:43 am

I tried these, and they were fantastic! I used regular cocoa powder, because that’s all I had, and 1/2 of a Valrhona 85% bar chopped small. Delicious, and it took about 15 minutes to put together (aside from the ten minutes spent looking for cocoa powder – behind the tea – and butter – behind the vodka). Am adding this to my repertoire.

August 25, 2009 8:31 am

I’m glad you like them Kairu Yao! It is great how quickly they come together, because I am very impatient when it comes to brownies :)

13. August 26, 2009 5:14 pm

I can’t believe how dark and delicious these look. I must try this recipe soon!

14. Margaret Roberts permalink
    September 5, 2009 12:35 pm

Oh my goodness! I am never buying a brownie mix again. I was looking for a good dessert to serve alongside a peach and raspberry cake for a dinner with my friends. Perfect! Everyone loved them and the dark chocolate was such a good complement to the fruit dessert. Thank you! Love the blog.

15. September 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Heaven is upon us! I love brownies!

16. oneordinaryday permalink
    October 2, 2009 2:42 pm

holy heck, i would love to have one of those right now.

17. Alia permalink
    October 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Oh My God!!!! All I can say is Thank You!
    I woke up this morning craving home made dark chocolate brownies. Being that I am not a big baker (or cooker for that matter) I was looking for a simple recipe.
    Yours is easy, quick, and AMAZING!
    I’m putting the second batch in right now!!!

18. Karen permalink
    October 31, 2009 8:44 pm

I have some in the oven right now. They are beautiful, uncooked! I have vanilla ice cream in the freezer and whipping cream, freshly whipped. Talk about anticipation! They smell wonderful too!