Blackberry Lemon Frozen Yogurt

August 20, 2010

I’ve been having a love affair with Greek yogurt for a while now. I can’t get enough of the stuff. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, so why not dessert too?

IMG_6689

A few weeks ago, during one of our many 100 degree days this summer, I picked up a quart of fresh blackberries at the farmers’ market thinking they would be perfect for turning into frozen yogurt. And they were! I added some lemon zest and Limoncello to give it some zing. The alcohol also helps to keep the frozen yogurt from freezing up too hard. Just try not to love the vibrant purple color of this frozen yogurt. It tastes as good as it looks.

If you have blackberries, this is a refreshing and fairly healthy way to cool off during these last few sweltering days of August!

IMG_6720

Blackberry Lemon Frozen Yogurt

Adapted from David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop
Makes about 4 cups

I used Chobani 0% Greek yogurt because it’s what I had on hand. It worked fine, but I think 2% or even full fat Greek Yogurt would yield a better texture and creamier frozen yogurt. Limoncello is an Italian lemon liquor that can be found at most liquor stores.

3/4 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
handful of fresh mint leaves (optional)
2 cups Greek yogurt
2 heaping cups (300g) fresh blackberries
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoons Limoncello

Pulse sugar, lemon zest and mint leaves in food processor until sugar is damp and fragrant.

Add yogurt, blackberries, lemon juice and Limoncello. Process until uniform in bright purple color and texture. Push mixture through a mesh sieve into a 4 cup container to remove seeds and leaves. Cover and chill overnight.

Churn in your ice cream maker according to instructions.

1. oneordinaryday permalink
    August 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Looks gorgeous! Just look at that color. I finally picked up this book today and am having a hard time deciding which to make first. : )

August 20, 2010 8:28 pm

I had the same problem when I got it! There’s so many great sounding recipes, I haven’t even begun to make all the ones I want to :)

2. August 20, 2010 8:41 pm

This is so pretty and it’s perfect because I made some blackberry frozen yogurt last summer, but never posted about it so I completely forgot the recipe. Now I can use this one! My freezer is still full of all the blackberries I picked last month, so this is a good excuse to use them up.

3. August 21, 2010 5:15 am

Hey Theresa, the color of this frozen treat is so beautiful, and I love that you included mint in the mix-that sounds so refreshing. Nice…

4. August 21, 2010 5:58 am

that looks utterly delightful! so yum!

5. August 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Wow…this looks beautiful and delicious….healthy, too. I wish I can have a scoop! I would love to try, Thanks very much for sharing.

6. August 24, 2010 12:09 am

God Bless Stumble Upon for leading me here t find this delicious dish! Not only did I recently purchase an ice cream machine …. but I also just had my first taste og Greek Yogurt and honestly can not wait to have the next! Plus, my oldest (4) requested lemons from the grocery store today …and I had no idea what we were going to do with them :)

Good Fortune I guess! Thanks

7. Kandice (Froyo Lover) permalink
    November 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Blackberries are one of my favorite fruits and especially when it comes to froyo: perfect combination! The color looks amazing in the photo which makes it that much more appetizing. Thank for sharing this!