Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

May 25, 2011

Forgive me Internet, for I have sinned. I took chocolate and peanut butter and combined them – with butter – to make a rich, sinful, and addictive treat. I’m sorry.

(But not really.)

These Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars have something to please everyone – they’re sweet, salty, creamy and crunchy all at the same time. They’re not too peanut buttery. In fact, they may be a little heavy on the chocolate, but I’m OK with that. My husband who doesn’t like peanut butter cookies (I know, what is wrong with him?) had to admit these bars were pretty darn good. Even my beagle who doesn’t like food really liked the peanut butter base. (Please don’t feed your dog chocolate. Ever.)

Are you ready for Spring?

Aside from the fact that these bars showcase the unbeatable (yes, I said unbeatable) combo of chocolate and peanut butter, they have other attractive qualities as well. They’re no-bake, meaning you don’t have to turn on your oven at all, a definite plus as the temperature outside rises. And if you want, you can make the whole recipe using just your microwave. Yay for fewer dirty pots and pans!

So what are you waiting for? I bet you have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now…

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Makes 9 medium or 16 small bars

To make the pretzel crumbs, pulse pretzels in a food processor until the largest pieces are about pea-sized. I used almost half a bag of Snyder’s “Snaps” to get 1 1/2 cups of crumbs.

Peanut Butter Base Ingredients

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups pretzel crumbs, fine
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Chocolate Ganache Ingredients

1 heaping cup semisweet chocolate chips, such as Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream

Line 8×8 pan with foil. Spray with baking spray.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt peanut butter and butter together in microwave (about 1 minute on HIGH). Stir in pretzel crumbs, confectioners’ sugar and salt. Spread evenly into prepared pan and refrigerate at least 10 minutes.

In a small saucepan or microwave-safe container, heat heavy cream to near boiling (1-2 minutes on HIGH, depending on your microwave). Pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. (If needed, microwave on DEFROST 10 seconds at a time to finish melting.) Pour chocolate over chilled peanut butter base. Chill.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting. Lift foil to remove from pan, then slice into bars with a pizza cutter. Store in refrigerator.

1. May 25, 2011 3:52 pm

These are really similar to the peanut butter bars my best friend made growing up, though hers didn’t have pretzels, which I think is an awesome addition! I bet these are hard to stop eating…sinful indeed!

2. Katie permalink
    May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Oh Em Gee. I most definitely will be trying these soon. I may leave work right this minute and go try them. Probably better get my kids first, but THEN, then I will make them. :)

And hey, I’m a beagle lover too! We used to foster for BREW beagle rescue here in the midwest. Took a break and had two kids, but we’ll get back into it soon. We have two beags of our own and one permanent foster. They’re the best. Ginger is adorable–those eyes are just irresistible!

May 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Aren’t beagles the best?! I just love them. Ginger is the only one we have for now, but I’m always thinking about getting another. If I was home more I would foster all the time!

3. Allia permalink
    May 25, 2011 7:23 pm

These look heavenly and I’ve actually been thinking about making something similar to this. Trader Joes used to (not sure if they still do) carry chocolate covered pretzels that were filled with peanut butter– so this is like bringing the deliciousness back.

On a random note- my husband is also not a big fan of peanut butter cookies (more like peanut butter in general). Any recommendations on recipes that involve peanut butter (like this one) that your husband has tended to like?

4. May 26, 2011 6:11 am

I LOVE sweet and salty combos- these bars….total drool worthy!

5. May 26, 2011 7:41 am

Oh my gosh!!! YUM!!!

6. Jennifer A (Bread and Putter) permalink
    May 26, 2011 10:02 am

Mmm, crunchy peanut buttery chocolatey love!! These would go over HUGE in my house.

7. May 26, 2011 3:16 pm

These look so simple and delicious! I love the combo of chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzels.

8. May 27, 2011 5:39 am

so simple n good! we loved these thx

9. May 27, 2011 12:23 pm

I can never resist the combo of chocolate plus salt. Add the crunch of pretzels and I’m a total goner. ;)

10. May 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Your pup is adorable. And these bars – oh my, the sweet/salty combination is fantastic.

11. May 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Yum! Salty-Sweet is my favorite!

12. May 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Oh deary me. I think I may have to go to the shop and buy the ingredients for this right now… watch this space!

13. May 30, 2011 12:54 am

We tried this with sunflower seed butter (neighbor’s kids, whom I was baking for, have nut allergies) and it was delectable! Thank you for the recipe.

14. May 30, 2011 1:17 pm

These look pretty incredible! What a genius (and dangerous) combination!!! I might just have to make those…even though I know I’ll end up eating them all by myself!
    ~Star
    Star Hughes Living

15. June 1, 2011 8:39 am

These sound perfect. perrrffect!
    Also, could your dog be any cuter? We used to have a little beagle and she was the sweetest, naughty dog ever ;)

16. Cathleen permalink
    June 3, 2011 6:44 pm

I just made these. What an awesome combination- they are fantastic. My daughter is calling them crack bars. : )

17. Allison permalink
    June 4, 2011 4:25 pm

I was just wondering if you would advise me to use salted or unsalted pretzels for this recipe? Thanks!!

June 4, 2011 5:59 pm

I used salted pretzels when I made them. Snyder’s Snaps to be precise.

18. megfanjoy permalink
    July 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Seriously AMAZING!!! whats not to like about chocolate and peanut butter…and i used the butter snap pretzels! LOVE