Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream

July 29, 2011

Bon Apetit unassumingly calls this recipe “Chocolate Ice Cream”, as if it’s just like that chocolate ice cream you pick up at the grocery store or find at those popular ice cream chain stores.

It’s not.

Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream

What this ice cream is is a monumental test of your self control. First, you mix up the fudgey ice cream base and try not to do too many “quality control” tests by dipping your fingers in it. Then you cook up some caramel and mix that into the base, trying to remember that greedy fingers + hot caramel = ow ow ow. Then quick, shove it in the fridge and just try to forget about it for a day or two. Next comes churning, when you have to pour the pudding-like rich base into the ice cream machine without eating it all first. Then you let it churn and churn and churn, staring at it impatiently, silently willing it to please hurry. But that’s not all! Oh no, the worst part is yet to come.

Then you have to stick it in the freezer and not eat it for THREE. WHOLE. DAYS.

I’m pretty sure this kind of torture is outlawed in the Geneva Convention, but it’s so worth enduring. I will not hesitate to say this is the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a lot. It’s creamy and rich and intensely chocolatey. Everyone that tried it came to the same conclusion – it is exactly like eating a frozen truffle and it’s amazing.

Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream

Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream

Adapted from Bon Appetit
Makes about 1 quart (4 cups)

The melted chocolate provides most of the flavor in this ice cream, so now is the time to use the good chocolate you’ve been saving up. I didn’t have any high quality chocolate (because I ate it all) so I used 60% Ghirardelli chips, which worked very well.

7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped, or high quality chocolate chips (such as Ghirardelli 60%)
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons 2% milk
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large egg yolks
11 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Set a saucepan with about 2 inches of water on the stove and bring to a simmer. Place chocolate in a medium, heat proof bowl. Set bowl over simmering (not boiling) water and stir gently until melted. Set aside.

Empty water from saucepan. Add milk and cocoa powder and whisk over medium heat until hot, steaming, and just about to boil. (Do not boil.) Remove from heat.

Prepare an ice bath using an extra-large bowl half filled with ice and water.

In a large, heat proof bowl, whisk egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar briskly until pale yellow and thick ribbons begin to form, about 2 minutes. (Can also be done with an electric mixer.) Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Return mixture to saucepan. Add melted chocolate, whisking to blend. Stir over low heat until thickened and instant-read thermometer reads 175ºF. Pour custard through a fine mesh strainer back into large bowl. Stir over ice bath until cooled.

Bring remaining 5 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a heavy, deep saucepan. Stir just until sugar dissolves, then stop stirring. Boil until amber in color. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in heavy cream (caramel will bubble vigorously, so use caution!). Whisk caramel into chocolate custard base. Cover and chill for at least 24 hours, up to 48 hours.

Churn custard base in ice cream maker according to machine instructions. Transfer to a storage container and freeze for 3 days before serving.

1. July 29, 2011 10:59 am

I love this stuff, but I still don’t understand why the wait and BA didn’t do any explaining…so I kind of think they made the rules up just to be complicated. Yes?

July 29, 2011 11:03 am

I suspected the same thing! What’s the point? Once it’s frozen, it’s frozen. Next time I’m going to eat it right away and see if there’s any difference. I’m rebellious (and impatient) like that!

2. July 29, 2011 11:00 am

I love how little heavy cream this recipe has! Makes me feel less guilty ;)

July 29, 2011 11:05 am

Me too! And dark chocolate is good for you. It’s practically health food ;)

3. July 29, 2011 12:32 pm

I need this right now. What a tease! Your photos look amazing! You mean, if I start making it right now, I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to eat it?!? Can I come over and have a bite of yours? ;-)

4. July 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Oh wow… I need a new chocolate ice cream. As soon as our move is over, I’m going to try this. thanks!

5. August 1, 2011 7:09 pm

I love the sound of tastes like a frozen truffle’ – bookmarked to try! :)

6. August 1, 2011 11:56 pm

Is the three days part necessary? I don’t have that kind of patience!

August 2, 2011 1:05 pm

Well you won’t DIE if you eat it before 3 days. In fact, I’m pretty sure it’ll taste delicious no matter when you eat it :)

7. August 2, 2011 12:53 am

Wow, this looks AMAZING. You can tell it’s delicious just from those pictures. Can’t wait to try.

8. August 2, 2011 2:11 am

I don’t like chocolate much.. but give me dark chocolate and I can stay happy for ever. This looks so darn delicious and that second photo is making me drool!

9. August 2, 2011 5:14 am

OH WOW. This looks like HEAVEN. Absolutely wonderful. Especially the little melted part. YUM.

10. August 2, 2011 11:29 am

Ice cream is always a test of self control…and this one’s taking some self control not to lick my computer screen. This looks awesome!

11. August 2, 2011 12:54 pm

Haha great post. I remember the first time I decided to taste test boiling caramel. I have never tried that again. This ice cream looks insane! So decadent and delicious. I am definitely adding this to my to-do list. Thanks for sharing.

12. August 2, 2011 1:09 pm

This looks to die for… I wish I had heavy whipping cream right now. I totally understand your self control issues, especially the part about “quality control” (it’s the perfect excuse for taste-testing right?)! Your photography is amazing by the way.

13. August 3, 2011 11:04 am

I have egg yolks in the fridge – I am so making this! My kids will thank you later…

14. oneordinaryday permalink
    August 8, 2011 8:19 am

Ooooh, this looks wonderful~

15. August 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Hello,

I am doing an end of summer ice cream round up on my own blog, All Day I Dream About Food, and would love to include this recipe. I would use one of your images, and link back to you, but I wouldn’t be posting the recipe directly. If you would like to be a part of it, please email me at carketch29 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Thanks,
    Carolyn

16. September 1, 2011 2:06 pm

I’ll be honest – I’m not sure I could keep myself away from this ice cream for that long. Just knowing it was in the freezer would be torture unlike any seen by man or beast.

Maybe not quite that dramatic, but close.

I’m going to save this to Pinterest so I can come back and make it! :) I’m so glad to have found you today!

17. September 5, 2011 9:03 am

I don’t have an ice cream maker, but when I do get one this is the first recipe I’m going to try with it :D