Where I’ve Been

May 7, 2012

You might have noticed that it’s been a little quieter than usual here. Sorry about that.

Hopefully a few pretty pictures will make it up to you?

A few weeks ago I hopped on a plane got up at 3am to sit in an airport for 3 hours waiting to hop on a plane. Eventually we actually got on the plane and after several more hours of airport torture, I found myself in Seattle, Washington.

seattleferry_wm

As in, clear on the other side of the country from where I live. My first trip to the West Coast!

hurricaneridge2_wm

First we toured the Olympic Peninsula, where we saw the tallest mountains I’ve ever laid eyes on, beaches that are the polar opposite of East Coast beaches, and trees dripping with moss in the rain forest. Yes, rain forest!

tidalpool_wm

hurricaneridge_wm

greenwaterfall_wmspaceneedle_wm

When we’d had our fill of wilderness, we made our way back to Seattle where I proceeded to eat my way around Pike Place Market and the rest of Seattle.

World’s Best Mac & Cheese at Beecher’s in Pike Place? Yup, I ate that.

Free samples on the Theo Chocolate Factory tour? I ate those too (and then some).

Apple fritter the size of my face? More coffee than I’ve drank in my entire life? A life-changing bacon & cheddar crepe with maple syrup and a fried egg at Citizen? Done, done and done. Our hotel, The Maxwell, even had free pineapple cupcakes every evening!

But now I’m home again and ready to share more recipes with you! I hope you’re hungry…

seattlecollage_small

1. Skorgi Hildebrand permalink
    May 7, 2012 1:38 pm

What made you visit the Seattle area? Just wondering as I live in the NW. Where did you find the starfish – I want to go find me one! I never tire of the beautiful rain forest & mountains. Come visit again soon!

2. Kammie permalink
    May 7, 2012 1:43 pm

Gorgeous photos, I’ve never been in Washington but it sure looks nice.

3. May 7, 2012 2:29 pm

Oh, those mountain and forest photos are stunning! I didn’t realize until afterward, but you and my boyfriend were at the same airport at the same time because he told me he saw the shuttle while he was waiting that 3 hours in the early morning to get on a plane back to C-ville. Small world! Even though he had a good job interview in Seattle we decided it was a little too daunting to move across the country right now, but I definitely hope to visit someday soon. It looks like a place that has a good balance of city and nature and most importantly, food!

4. Kim permalink
    May 7, 2012 7:44 pm

Nice pics! Is that really what a starfish looks like?! I thought they were more crusty and rigid..not so… limp? I don’t know if that is the right word for it. :)

5. May 7, 2012 8:55 pm

It’s so pretty!

6. May 7, 2012 9:09 pm

Gorgeous pics! I just moved from Seattle to San Francisco and this makes me miss the good old Pacific Northwest.

7. May 9, 2012 6:15 am

I’ve nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Collect it here: http://doctoratehousewife.com/2012/05/09/the-versatile-blogger-award/

8. May 9, 2012 8:51 am

Amazing photos!

9. May 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Great photos of my locale! :) I hope you enjoyed your time here. Beecher’s is fantastic. I laughed at your comment on how the beaches here are the polar opposite of the ones on your side of the country. So true!

10. July 21, 2012 9:43 pm

Your pictures are stunning, and I envy your trip- I’ve been wanting to visit Washington State for years.