Peach, Cinnamon & Brown Butter Pull-Apart Bread

August 9, 2012

Whooooooa, it’s August. How the heck did that happen?

I know it’s hot and this is going to require you to turn on your oven, but just hear me out.

Peaches have been abundant at the farmer’s market lately and I’ve been gobbling them up as fast as I can buy them. But then I got this crazy idea…

Have you seen pull apart bread? It’s basically like a cinnamon roll, except instead of rolling it up, you slice it into squares and stuff it in a bread pan. Sounds delicious, right?

Now add peaches.

Yeah, I did that. It’s the worst best idea I’ve ever had. I had originally planned to bake this for some friends who visited a few weeks ago, but I ran out of time. I just couldn’t let the idea go though, so I baked it up on a lazy Sunday morning. It was as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4.

And then I proceeded to eat 1, 2, 3, 4… and more pieces. See, the evil thing about this bread is the pull-apart-ness. The smells of warm cinnamon and brown sugar tickle your nose while the many tender layers practically beg you to just pull off a little slice. C’mon, just one. It won’t kill you.

The next thing you know, you’re huddled in the corner of your kitchen cradling the whole thing in your lap, lovingly calling it your “Precious”.

What I’m trying to say is maybe you should wait to make this one until you have some friends or family over.

Peach Cinnamon & Brown Butter Pull-Apart Bread

Adapted from Tracey’s Culinary Adventure and Joy the Baker
Makes 1 9×5-inch bread loaf

This recipe requires rising time for dough, so be sure to plan ahead. The bread doesn’t have a strong peach flavor, so next time I might try subbing some of the milk with peach schnapps to give it an extra peachy kick.

Dough Ingredients

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus 1/4 cup or more, if needed)
1/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Icing Ingredients

1 cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened + leftover browned butter **
4 teaspoons of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Add flour, sugar and yeast to the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix just to blend. Heat butter and milk in microwave just until butter melts, about 1 minute. Stir in water and vanilla. Checking with an instant read thermometer, cool to temperature indicated on yeast packet (usually 120-130ºF). Add eggs to dry ingredients. Mix on low, streaming in liquids slowly. Continue mixing until a sticky dough forms. Add flour 1 tablespoon at a time (up to about 4 to 6 tablespoons) until dough pulls away from sides. Dough will be tacky but not too sticky to handle. Briefly knead dough, shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, pit, peel and finely dice peaches. Whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a small bowl. Cook butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until browned (will have a nutty aroma). Transfer to a small, heat-proof bowl. Spray a 9×5 bread pan with baking spray.

Once risen, punch down dough, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll dough out into a large rectangle (roughly 12×24 inches). Dough will be fairly thin. Brush brown butter over top of dough. (You don’t need to use it all, just enough to cover the dough.) Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar & spice mixture. (Again, you don’t need to use it all – I used about 2/3rds.) Using a pizza cutter, cut into 6 equal strips. Sprinkle about 1/5 of diced peaches over one strip of dough, then stack another strip of dough on top. Repeat adding peaches and stacking dough strips with remaining dough. Cut stacked strips into 6 equal stacks of squares. Stuff stacked squares vertically into prepared 9×5 loaf pan. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 30-45 minutes in a warm place. (If you can’t find a warm place, turn oven on to lowest setting (200ºF or less) for 3 minutes, then turn OFF. Set dough inside OFF oven to rise.)

Preheat over to 350ºF. Bake about 35-45 minutes, or until no longer doughy in the center (bread should register 190ºF on an instant thermometer in the center when done). If bread starts to get too brown before it’s ready, cover loosely with foil and continue baking.

Remove from oven, cool on a wire wrack for 10 minutes. Carefully invert bread onto serving platter. Combine all icing ingredients** in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Icing should be thick and paste-like. Do not thin! Spread icing over warm bread. Devour.

Best served same day it’s baked. Can be stored covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.

** I had about 1 tablespoon of leftover browned butter. If you don’t have any leftover browned butter, substitute 1 tablespoon of softened butter.

1. August 9, 2012 9:05 pm

This looks so amazingly delicious! I don’t know if I can wait to find some peaches! :D

2. August 9, 2012 9:47 pm

Reblogged this on Daily Dessert and commented:
    This Looks absolutely amazing!!! All should try!

3. August 9, 2012 10:04 pm

Wow. Just wow. This looks like the most delicious (and yet do-able) brunch/dessert recipe ever! Thanks for sharing it… I just went through a whole case of peaches but I will have to buy more soon just to try this out.

4. August 10, 2012 5:24 am

I could not wait to Pin this, so I can try this later! Looks amazing and indeed, addictive :)

5. August 10, 2012 9:37 am

Yes, time flies, but when push comes to shove – have fun with your oven. In Tennessee, it’s been raining for the month straight and it’s starting to get really old. I’m a bit spoiled after living in SoCal, but I like rain and lush vegetation. I really liked your recipe – I liked it so much, I am going to share it on my blog!! I really enjoyed your blog – keep up the good work. I will make sure to visit your page more often. Please visit http://www.mynutritioninsight.com for information and disease prevention and healthy food and drink recipes. Add me on Twitter – Mona Lisa

6. August 10, 2012 10:16 am

I’m not a baker, but I think that I could do this!

7. August 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I’ve never had pull apart bread but since I love cinnamon buns, I’m pretty sure I would love these too! Thanks for the recipe!!!

8. August 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Fantastic! that’s so incredibly pretty, something which can be hard to do with pull-apart bread. It sounds really quite delicious too.

9. August 10, 2012 5:29 pm

i just died & went to pull-apart bread heaven!!
    xo

10. August 10, 2012 6:42 pm

So want a piece – YUM! I love making things like this when company is in town – just a help yourself kinda thing with some fruit – easy peasy!

11. August 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Oh my! I love pull apart bread and you’ve just taken it to another level with the peaches! Looks so good!

12. August 10, 2012 7:08 pm

That just looks oh so dangerously delicious, can’t wait to try it!

13. August 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh man….this bread looks incredible!! :)

14. August 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Wow..that is one gorgeous and delicious looking peach and cinnamon pull-apart bread!! I love the dripping glaze (who doesn’t?) That said..I’m co-hosting a summer fruit bread challenge called Twelve Loaves and would love if you could submit this bread to the bloghop linky on my site or on any of the link ups on my co-host’s sites. It’s truly a stunner and I have no doubt many will want to make it..including myself!!

15. August 12, 2012 9:58 pm

What a brilliant idea. I have a basket of peaches sitting on my counter, crying out to be put into a peach Pull Apart bread!! The use of browned butter is great!

16. August 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Wow, this looks incredible! Gorgeous!

17. August 15, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks for the recipe! I double the recipe and made half batch of cinnamon rolls with the dough and they were fantastic!!

18. August 16, 2012 11:39 pm

My box of peaches are coming this weekend. I can hardly wait. What a great recipe

19. Beki permalink
    August 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Question…would anyone know if I could prep the whole thing to the stage before putting the pan in the oven to bake the bread, and freeze it at that point, and pull out of freezer and bake at a later date?

20. September 12, 2012 2:29 pm

This inspired me to make my own version – Blueberry and Almond Pull-Apart Bread (which I also adapted to make dairy free). Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I’ve posted my own recipe on my blog, with links to your post and your site. Hope that’s OK. http://makey-cakey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/identity-crisis-bread.html

21. September 13, 2012 12:05 am

Yummy!! Thanks for posting :)