Chocolate-Dipped Espresso Meringues

March 6, 2013

I kind of neglected to mention that when I made those strawberry meringues a little while ago, I also made espresso meringues.

Chocolate-Dipped Espresso Merginues

And that (to my surprise) I liked them even better than the strawberry meringues!

I thought maybe it was just me so I gave some to a friend who isn’t really a big fan of meringues. She couldn’t stop eating them either, which just proves that they’re amazing. I miss them already – because I ate them all.

I’ve mentioned it before, but meringues are very easy to make. You just need to whip some egg whites to stiff peaks (with a mixer, hopefully, or your arm might fall off) and add some flavoring. Then you dollop them on a baking sheet or pipe them into any shape you want, and bake until dry. That’s it!

Chocolate-Dipped Espresso Merginues

OR… you could then dip them in melted chocolate, because coffee and chocolate pair very, very well together. The espresso somehow makes the chocolate taste more chocolate-y. Each bite of these chocolate-dipped meringues taste a lot like a sip of the foamy mocha lattes I practically lived on in college. Coffee-lovers are sure to be delighted by them!

Chocolate-Dipped Espresso Merginues

Chocolate-Dipped Espresso Merginues

Adapted from Real Simple
Makes about 40 quarter-sized cookies

As with any meringue, it’s imperative that you not have any egg yolk in your whites or they will never reach stiff peaks. I couldn’t find espresso powder at my local grocery store, but I did find some at Target. Start checking your meringues after 1 hour of baking. The goal is for them to dry and lift easily from the pan without browning. Actual cooking time can vary based on piping size and humidity.

2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled to room temperature

Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet or two with Silpat mats or parchment paper.

Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites, vanilla, espresso powder, salt, and cream of tartar on medium high until soft peaks form. While beating, sprinkle in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until all is incorporated. Increase speed to high and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.

Pipe or dollop meringue onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 200°F for about 2 hours, or until meringues are dry to the touch and lift off the pan easily. Cool meringues completely on the counter (or, if humid, turn oven off and cool for 2 hours in the OFF oven.) Dip bottoms in melted chocolate and place on parchment, wax paper, or Silpats to dry.

Store in an air-tight container at room temperature.

1. March 6, 2013 5:01 pm

Wow this is a beautiful creation. I can only image how delicious this must be. Espresso flavored things are my favorite!

2. March 6, 2013 5:04 pm

Chocolate & Espresso – YUM:) Thanks for sharing – Have a Great One!

3. March 6, 2013 8:53 pm

Oh wow! Those look outstanding!

4. March 7, 2013 4:52 am

WOW It is delicius. Thank you for sharing. :)

5. March 7, 2013 6:47 pm

Oh.my.word! These look so delicious than I’m just going to have to make them pronto! Gorgeous photos, too, by the way – mouthwatering. ;)

6. March 8, 2013 1:52 pm

Wow, these look amazing. Gosh- I wish I had one right this minute….mmmm. Going to try these soon!

7. March 8, 2013 8:04 pm

I’ve tried making meringue but always fail miserably! I blame my oven just to make me feel better… This recipe is amazing, I can’t wait to try it!

8. March 8, 2013 11:56 pm

These look beautiful, such a cute idea.

9. March 12, 2013 5:50 am

They look fantastic. I love meringues but never tried dipping them in chocolate. Glad that I chanced upon your blog:-)

10. March 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Your meringues are just beautiful!

11. March 12, 2013 6:32 pm

I’ve never made meringues before but that because I’ve never see a recipe that made me want to make some. You just made me want to :-P

12. March 13, 2013 6:05 pm

These are so pretty with their chocolate dipped bottoms! I love chocolate with espresso. :)

13. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com permalink
    March 14, 2013 5:27 am

I’m not usually a huge meringue fan either, but with the addition of chocolate I’m already 47% more interested than I would be otherwise. And I do love the combination of chocolate and coffee–maybe these are the meringues to change my mind!

14. March 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Oh man, no you didn’t just do this to me! I must try these! I’m a huge fan of meringue cookies – I make them often and made some recently for Valentine’s Day on my food blog, http://www.reelflavor.com. Meringue cookies are always great, since I cook gluten free. I love you’re idea of dipping them into chocolate. I will have to try that! Thanks so much and keep up the good work!

Sylvia

15. March 19, 2013 1:53 am

wow…stunning…

16. March 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Reblogged this on cerulean doctor and commented:
    drooling so bad……

17. Megan permalink
    March 10, 2014 9:02 am

I made these and they were truly incredible! The chocolate isn’t needed because they are THAT good on their own. I think I will try using less sugar when I make them again because they are very sweet, but they have an incredible espresso flavor. Great recipe!