Salted Caramel & Chocolate Samoa Macaroons

March 20, 2013

Girl Scout cookies, we are so over. It’s not me, it’s you.

Like a lot of young girls in America, I spent some time in Girl Scouts. (Though truth be told, I would have preferred to be in Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts got to do all the fun stuff! Archery, fishing, playing with knives… though I believe they called it carving.) In my troop, it was mostly all about selling cookies and for my introverted self, it was akin to torture. What do you mean you want me to walk up to a stranger’s door, knock and then talk to them?!

I hated it.

Salted Caramel & Chocolate Samoa Macaroons

What I didn’t hate, though, was eating the cookies, even long after I left the Girl Scouts. Girl Scout cookie time was like Christmas in Spring! My favorites were Peanut Butter Patties, Thin Mints and of course, Caramel deLites (aka Samoas).

But in recent years, I realized something had changed. Somewhere along the way, I just… stopped liking them.

I know, I know, I can hear your gasp of shock from here. But honestly, the last box of Thin Mints I bought was so disappointing I threw out the half-eaten box 3 months after I purchased them. I’m the first to admit I’m a total chocolate snob, but when your chocolate cookies don’t even taste like chocolate, it’s time to put an end to that relationship.

Salted Caramel & Chocolate Samoa Macaroons

And so I found myself craving some Caramel deLites but not wanting to actually buy any. I was also craving coconut macaroons (not to be confused with the French cookies, macarons). Why not combine the two?

I should warn you that these Salted Caramel & Chocolate Samoa Macaroons are not the Passover-friendly type, and also that they are extremely addictive. Plus they’re pretty easy to make. I’m sorry and you’re welcome. The caramel is made in a non-traditional way that I actually found easier than making a standard dry caramel because it doesn’t seem to go from caramel to burnt quite as fast. The caramel is baked right into the macaroons too, which I love – no messy caramel drizzling!

You can absolutely eat the salted caramel macaroons plain (and they are fantastic), but to make them like Samoas, you’ll have to dip them and drizzle them in chocolate. Oh, darn.

Salted Caramel & Chocolate Samoa Macaroons

Salted Caramel & Chocolate Samoa Macaroons

Inspired by Gillian Shaw’s Caramelized Coconut Macaroons
Makes about 24 cookies

Egg whites vary in size, so if you find your cookie mixture too runny and your cookies are forming puddles around the bottom as they bake, don’t be afraid to add a little bit more coconut and/or flour to firm things up. Keeping the mix cool will help prevent that too. The coconut oil is optional but helps to thin the chocolate some for easier dipping and drizzling.

4 large egg whites
12 ounces sweetened flaked coconut, divided
7 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt

6 – 8 ounces dark (at least 60%) chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp coconut oil (optional)

Whisk egg whites in a large bowl. Add half of coconut and flour, stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined. Set aside remaining coconut.

In a 4-quart or larger saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramel reaches a rich coppery color. (Caramel may looks separated with a layer of butter on top. Don’t panic.) Remove from heat. Carefully add reserved coconut and salt (Caution: may spatter!), and stir to combine. Cool about 5 minutes.

Add about 1/4 cup of the caramel mixture to the egg white mixture at a time, stirring vigorously to combine and prevent cooking the eggs. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Mixture should be wet but not too loose or runny.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment or Silpats. Scoop cookies between 1 1/2 and 2 tablespoon size, and place about 1-inch apart on baking sheet. (Return any remaining mixture to the fridge until read to bake.) Bake at 350°F for 12-14 mins, or until bottoms are golden brown. Cool about 2 minutes on the pan, then move to wire racks to cool completely.

Place chocolate and (optional) coconut oil in a small, microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals on High until chocolate starts to melt. Continue heating in 15 second intervals, stirring well between each, until melted and smooth. Dip cookie bottoms in chocolate and set on wax paper. Drizzle remaining chocolate over top. Allow chocolate to harden at room temperature, or pop cookies in the fridge to speed the process up.

1. Sarah permalink
    March 20, 2013 7:58 pm

I wanted to be a Boy Scout, too! Every time we dropped my brother off for a week at camp I was jealous. Archery! I was a Brownie and hated it. We had to do stupid girl stuff. Also being an introvert, I did not like having to sell cookies.

March 21, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds like we’re in agreement, Sarah! I was so jealous of my brothers. Boy Scout camp was so much cooler.

2. March 20, 2013 8:06 pm

I was in Girl Scouts (very briefly) and also hated it. I also agree that GS cookies aren’t that great and I stopped buying them years ago. I love your much more delicious variation on Samoas!

3. March 20, 2013 8:12 pm

These look amazing! Samoas are my favorite, and I will definitely have to give these a try.

4. March 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Goodbye, Samoas. (You’re exactly right. The chocolate in all the G.S. cookies tastes like nothing but wax.) Good job!

March 21, 2013 10:12 am

Right? Fake chocolate is such a disappointment!

5. pegarmour permalink
    March 20, 2013 9:55 pm

You have made my day! I love Caramel deLites, but don’t want to buy them with all the fake ingredients and additives. Thanks for the post!

6. March 20, 2013 10:30 pm

You’ve outdone yourself! I love these. And thank you so much for the runny batter tip, I’ve baked way too many runny coconut macaroons (even with weighing the ingredients!), you’ve saved mah life :)

March 21, 2013 10:13 am

It took more than a few batches to figure it out myself. Hope it helps! :)

7. Sarah permalink
    March 20, 2013 11:00 pm

These look amazing!!! I will try them soon! Can’t wait! Beautiful photos as well. :)

8. March 21, 2013 6:56 am

Those look so pretty! I must give them a try :D

9. March 21, 2013 8:10 am

These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them :)

10. March 22, 2013 8:56 am

Yum these look and sound so delicious, I love anything with salted caramel!

11. June G. permalink
    March 22, 2013 9:59 am

I totally agree, along the years the GS cookies have lost their hold on me. They don’t taste the same, the prices keep rising as the quantity decreases. I miss the Campfire girls mints but THAT’S going wayyyyy back! Haha:) I’ll be giving these a try:)

12. March 22, 2013 12:52 pm

I didn’t like the GS either and I hated the cookie selling thing. Going door to door was torture for me so my parents didn’t make me do it. Or maybe they did and I’m just trying to suppress a terrible childhood memory.

And what! You should have sent me those Thin Mints. I’m sure I would have been happy. :) Although I haven’t had Thin Mints in 15 years so maybe they have changed.

I’m happy you posted these so that I can recreate some GS cookie funness at home! I love that you used an easier caramel because I stink at that. And great pictures, too!

March 22, 2013 12:57 pm

I’m pretty sure Thin Mints are the same – it’s just my tastes that have changed. Faux chocolate doesn’t cut it anymore for this chocolate snob! haha I’m sure anything you make at home is bound to taste better :)

13. March 22, 2013 10:02 pm

The best part is that GS cookies are only once a year (and I agree that the Cookie Mafia’s quality has gone down) and you can make these anytime of year!

14. March 24, 2013 9:05 am

I was really grateful to hear SOMEONE ELSE say that girl scout cookies aren’t that great. It’s so true that even someone who bakes just a little bit can make something that tastes far better. I always liked girl scout cookies as a little girl, and then tasting them as an adult, I am amazed at how flat their flavor it. Thanks for the great recipe — coconut macaroons are one of my favorites!

15. March 27, 2013 1:08 am

Ah those look so delicious. I totally know what you mean about not wanting to knock on people’s doors as a kid, haha!

-Lauren

16. March 28, 2013 11:42 am

Isn’t it the truth? Girl Scout cookies aren’t that great. Each one just seems like it needs something. The chocolate isn’t chocolatey enough, the peanut butter isn’t peanut buttery enough, and the coconut, well, you get the picture. Your cookies look fabulous, and I’ll bet they’re cheaper to make then $4 a box!

17. March 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Wow! This looks absolutely amazing. Samoas are my favorite & the combination of coconut macaroons (I like that you took the time to distinguish the difference between Macarons & Macaroons!!) is brillllliannnt. I need to try this out one day. Love this site already!

18. emma permalink
    March 30, 2013 1:08 pm

I’ll try to make them cause they look awesome. The problem is I’ll never be able to imitate this impeccable shape. So hopefully my tutor will help me if something goes wrong. To put it more precisely, my husband gave me a special gift on this year’s Valentine’s Day – he booked a cooking class organized by Zac’s cooking school in our native Vancouver called – cooking classes for couples so we’re now collecting interesting recipes to come up with during that course and this one will definitely be part of our list. :)

March 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I love you for saying my cooking are impeccably shaped :) If it helps, I used the medium 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized OXO scoop to make these cookies (and most every other cookie too). It helps keep them a consistent size and shape so they bake evenly. I highly recommend it! More info in this post: http://cravingchronicles.com/2012/12/17/gift-ideas-for-bakers-and-cooks/ Enjoy your cooking class!

19. April 1, 2013 5:14 pm

Very yummy recipe! I can’t wait to try it out now! Thanks for sharing!

20. April 5, 2013 10:43 am

Love this ingredient will make sure to give it a try, i always chocolate craving every now and then,,, yours looks yummy*_*

21. June 24, 2014 5:15 am

Hey! I’ve included this on my recent blog post. ♥

June 24, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks for the shout out Nyze :) You should make these macaroons! They’re delicious :)

• June 24, 2014 8:25 pm