Emergency Small Batch Brownies

April 2, 2013

Do you ever have days where you feel like you need a brownie so badly that you’re sure the sky will fall, continents will crumble, and gravity will release it’s sticky grip and throw us all into chaos if you don’t get one?

No? Me neither.

Emergency Small Batch Brownies

In unrelated news, here’s a recipe for making just 2 or 3-ish brownies. For those times when you don’t want to share. Or the times when you don’t trust yourself not to eat a full pan of brownies in one sitting. Or, you know, when you just really, really want a rich, fudgy, decadent brownie. Or else.

You’re going to need something other than the usual 9×13 or 8×8 pan to make these. The good news is that you have a few options. You can use an 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan, 2 or 3 ramekins, or two of these adorable little 5-inch cast iron skillets.

Once you have your pan selected and prepped, it’s as simple as whisking, pouring and waiting.

The waiting in the hardest part.

Emergency Small Batch Brownies

These brownies are my favorite eaten still hot from the oven, straight out of the pan with a spoon. I won’t judge you. This is an emergency, after all!

If you must get fancy, add some vanilla bean ice cream or (pictured here) salted caramel gelato on top.

Emergency Small Batch Brownies

Serves 2 – 3 (or one if you’re bad at sharing and really love brownies)

For the 1/2 egg, beat one large egg then measure out about 1 1/2 tablespoons. If you don’t have or don’t want to buy dark unsweetened cocoa powder, substitute an equal amount of regular unsweetened cocoa powder.

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon DARK unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Hershey’s Special Dark)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon water
pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 large egg (about 1 1/2 tablespoons of beaten egg)
1 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
handful chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare either an 8×4-inch loaf pan OR two 7-ounce ramekins OR two 5-inch cast iron skillets. (Line the loaf pan with foil, leaving some overhang, and spray with non-stick spray; Spray ramekins with non-stick spray; Rub insides of cast iron skillets with melted coconut oil.)

Melt butter in the microwave in a medium, microwave safe bowl.

Add sugar, cocoa powders, water, salt and vanilla. Whisk until combined, then whisk for an additional minute. Let mixture cool for a minute or two. Add egg and whisk vigorously until combined. Fold in flour, then chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and set on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F. Cooking times will vary depending on pans – loaf pan and iron skillets will take 12-17 minutes, ramekins can take up to 25 (depending on how thick they are). Brownies are done when centers are set and edges pull away from the pan. (If using a loaf pan, remove brownies by foil overhang and cut into squares.)

Serve warm.

1. April 2, 2013 8:57 pm

Not the biggest fan of deserts, but I love brownies. This looks amazing..

2. April 2, 2013 9:20 pm

Your pictures are so professional. The gelato has such a beautiful color. The picture makes me salivate.

• April 11, 2014 1:28 am

I don’t know whether to curse you or nominate you for a Nobel prize.

April 11, 2014 8:17 am

LOL Thank you. I understand completely. I’m both sorry and not sorry :)

3. April 2, 2013 10:15 pm

I love (almost) single serving desserts! Since I live alone I usually make everything just for myself. I wonder if I could use egg whites instead of the egg?

April 3, 2013 8:18 am

I doubt it would be disastrous, but your brownie might be less fudgy. Give it a try and let us know how it goes! :)

• Martin permalink
        April 8, 2013 6:22 am

I loved the recipe, Though coming from Australia – I tried to bake it at 150 – 200 d’celcius. I think it needed some self raising flour or something added to make the brownies rise as mine turned flat and pancake like… The flavours were amazing – I also added some organic walnuts, melted chocolate & some espresso coffee in it so it was more of a mocha inspired brownie.

Thanks for the recipe! xx

4. April 2, 2013 10:18 pm

This looks AMAZING. Would it be possible for you to do a single chocolate chip cookie??(: <3, B

April 3, 2013 8:21 am

I will consider it! I’m really picky about my chocolate chip cookies though. I usually prefer to make a full batch of my favorite dough, bake 2 and freeze the rest for on-demand baking later.

5. April 3, 2013 2:38 am

A perfect remedy for those less than perfect days! These look good enough to make pretty much anytime though :)

6. April 3, 2013 4:52 am

Now that is a cool idea… also, that’s an amazing skillet!

7. April 3, 2013 5:38 am

Reblogged this on officialruthie and commented:

8. April 3, 2013 8:17 am

Wooohoooo! You know I love some small batch desserts! Love this version in a cast iron skillet! :) This just made my day! :) :)

9. April 3, 2013 9:13 am

I usually have an emergency stash of cookie dough, but this is a great idea as well!

10. April 3, 2013 4:43 pm

I WANT BROWNIES NOW! (And salted caramel gelato, which I can’t have because I can’t eat dairy. :))

This looks SO yummy!

11. April 3, 2013 10:08 pm

I love desserts that can be made small. Because, somehow, they’re never that good the next day. This is perfect.

12. April 4, 2013 2:58 pm

Reblogged this on TheBestEats and commented:
    Love your page!!!

13. April 4, 2013 5:35 pm

Reblogged this on yummysweetdates and commented:
    I have days like this alllllllll the time!

14. April 6, 2013 7:04 am

seriously salivating right now. I haven’t got the time to make them this weekend but I’m saving the recipe down and will pick up some brownies whilst I’m out shopping to fill the craving you have just given me!!

15. April 6, 2013 7:05 am

Hi! Hmmm I love this small batch emergency idea for brownies :) I love eating brownies still hot from the oven too.

16. Marcia permalink
    April 6, 2013 9:36 am

What is the difference between unsweetened and natural unsweetened cocoa powders? And what is the purpose of using two types?

April 6, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks for the great question! I’ve edited the ingredients to hopefully help clear things up. One is unsweetened DARK cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s “Special Dark”) and the other is just regular unsweetened cocoa powder. I like to use a little of the extra dark cocoa powder because I like my chocolate very dark. If you only have regular cocoa powder, you can absolutely substitute that in place of the dark cocoa powder. I hope that helps!

17. April 7, 2013 4:55 am

This looks like my perfect recipe, I love things that come in small portions! Your brownies look so delicious too!

18. April 8, 2013 6:10 pm

Reblogged this on cerulean doctor and commented:
    *silence for all brownies*

19. April 9, 2013 8:18 pm

Totally brilliant. I have a li’l bitty cast iron skillet that I barely use but just love – great idea! Now that I’m gluten/dairy/egg-free in my life, my next goal is to find a recipe that I can use for this exact thing :) PS – lovely blog!

20. April 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Oh, my! This looks like something I will definitely have to make! Love it!

21. April 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Yes! This is such a good idea. I’ve definitely had one of those days before when I made (begged) my fiancee to make me some emergency small batch cookies-in-a-mug, but this looks immensely more satisfying. (And like the perfect use for our mini cast iron pan that we’re constantly wondering if we should give away!)

22. April 14, 2013 7:23 am

Ooo those look amazing, and now I have an excuse to use my small pan!

23. April 21, 2013 9:43 am

These look absolutely delicious and the perfect dessert for two…I can’t wait to try them out!

24. April 28, 2013 4:22 pm

That second skillet picture slays me.

25. April 29, 2013 4:21 am

I feel like my life has been leading up to this moment!

26. April 29, 2013 2:35 pm

This looks so delicious! I completely understand the feeling of needing a brownie RIGHT NOW – and I don’t usually eat sweets so this is a nice way to have one (or two) quick but not have to deal with having a whole pan of brownies. And they look so cool in the cast iron skillet!

27. May 2, 2013 8:33 pm

I’ve made these twice in two days. The first time I made it I accidentally put about a tablespoon less of butter than I was suppose to. Once I corrected it, they tasted very yummy

May 2, 2013 8:37 pm

More butter is always better ;) Glad you liked them!

28. June 7, 2013 5:34 pm

I love any brownie- but the little skillet presentation is AMAZING!

29. April 1, 2014 9:36 pm

Love this recipe and I’ve used it at least four times. I double the recipe and pour it into a 24 oz ramekin for me and the fiance. At one point in time we should put a scoop of ice cream on top as well.

• colin permalink
      May 13, 2014 8:41 pm

i suggest putting like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for a slight rising effect, otherwise it tastes great