Spicy Sweet Mango & Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches

June 10, 2013

The last couple of weeks have been a doozy. I found out some company took one of my photos and was selling it in gift shops without my permission. I nearly cut my finger off while chopping some swiss chard. I came down with a cold. I battled insomnia. I burned my thumb on my lunch.

And now I’m throwing myself a fabulous pity party! Don’t worry, you’re totally invited.

Spicy Sweet Mango & Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches

The first (and only) dish at my pity party are these Mango & Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches. The idea for these has been brewing in my head for a little while. Something about the combination of spicy ginger and creamy mango ice cream was just calling to me.

First, I made mango ice cream. I’m into altulfo mangoes (the little yellow ones) for their creamy sweetness and I’m into coconut milk in a big way lately, so that’s what I used. It’s a creamy, tangy dairy-free, egg-free tropical delight. You do need an ice cream maker to churn it, but it’s not custard based so there’s no cooking required. It literally comes together in minutes in your food processor or blender.

Pro tip: If you’re OCD like me, store your ice cream in a baking pan so that you can use a cookie cutter for perfectly round ice cream sandwiches. Ahhhh symmetry.

Spicy Sweet Mango & Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches

While the mango ice cream is good, the cookies were definitely my favorite part. I used a twist on my favorite chewy sugar cookies. I was looking for a good amount of spice so I used 3 kinds of ginger: fresh minced, ground and candied. There’s no molasses in these cookies because I wanted to taste the ginger, not molasses. The cookies are soft, chewy and pleasantly gingery. They’re not as spicy as I had hoped, but they got rave reviews from everyone who tried them! I’ll definitely be making them again.

Spicy Sweet Mango & Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches

The next obvious step was to sandwich them together. Creamy mango ice cream between two spicy sweet ginger cookies. I find them very cool and refreshing on a hot day. To appease my yearning for spiciness, I rolled the outside of my ice cream sandwiches in more chopped candied ginger. That added the zing I was hoping for!

Years ago, one of my readers pointed out that I make a LOT of chocolate recipes (naturally) and inquired if I ever made anything with mangoes. Dear reader, this one is for you!

Spicy Sweet Mango & Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Mango Ice Cream

Makes 3-4 cups

This ice cream comes together so fast, it’s almost too easy. The hardest part is cutting the mangoes, which isn’t really hard if you know how to do it. I like to cut mine like an avocado – score the insides, then scoop out with a spoon. Chef Allen Susser demonstrates how to cut a mango in this video.

2 large ripe altulfo mangos (about 1 pound), peeled and chopped
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
juice from 1 lime
pinch of salt

Puree mangoes in food processor or blender until smooth. Add sugar and puree for 30 seconds to 1 minute. With the processor / blender running, add coconut milk, lime juice, and salt. Blend until combined. Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours.

Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.

Spicy Chewy Ginger Cookies

Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
Makes about 24 cookies

As written, this recipe yields a pleasantly gingery cookie that will make people say, “What was in that?” (in a good way). Next time I think I will double the fresh ginger to get even more of a spicy bite to them.

3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
2 1/4 cups (11 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) sugar , plus 1/3 cup for rolling
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature and cut into 8 small pieces
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter , melted and still warm
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped candied ginger

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.

Combine milk & ginger in a small glass. Heat in microwave for about 20 seconds. Set aside to steep.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ginger. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cream cheese. Whisk in warm melted butter. Add oil, egg, milk steeped with ginger, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Fold in flour mixture with rubber spatula until incorporated and a soft dough forms. Fold in chopped candied ginger.

(If dough is too soft at this point, refrigerate it for 15-30 minutes until it firms enough to roll into balls.)

Place remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small bowl. Using a 1 1/2 Tablespoon cookie scoop, portion out 12 dough balls per baking sheet. Roll each dough ball in your hands, then roll in sugar to coat. Space about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.

Bake 1 sheet at time at 350°F for 11-13 minutes, until set and just beginning to brown on the bottom. (They might not look done, but don’t over bake!) Cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

1. June 10, 2013 7:57 pm

These look incredible! What’s good is that I guess you can be experimental with the ice cream flavours, too :)

2. June 10, 2013 8:18 pm

This is definitely going on my “to make” list! Love the flavor combo.

3. June 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Very delicious combination – I live the the heartland of mango and ginger production (Queensland in Australia) and come summer, I’ll be making these.YUM

June 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Lucky you! I have a hard time finding good mangoes here in the states. I bet yours will taste amazing :)

4. June 11, 2013 3:26 am

Love the ice cream sandwich method – duly noted for future ice cream sandwiches. Also, good use of the word doozy – we don’t use it here in Britain. These look great!

5. June 11, 2013 6:14 am

very delicious combination <3

6. June 11, 2013 8:21 am

These look divine! Yum-o!

7. June 11, 2013 9:03 am

Ginger cookies! I think I love you.

8. June 11, 2013 9:15 am

Mango + Ginger = Lovely. And hells yes to your OCD perfect rounds of ice cream.

9. June 11, 2013 4:33 pm

These are so unique, and they look delicious!

10. June 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Looks really good! Sorry you’ve been having a tough time. God bless!

11. Sarah permalink
    June 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Altulfo mangoes are my favourite, too! Thanks for making the ice cream dairy free.

12. June 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Mango is my most favourite flavour! I can’t wait to try this recipe out with the spicy ginger cookies! I might try grilling the mango first… thanks for the idea! :)

June 11, 2013 7:24 pm

What a great idea! Let me know how it turns out :)

13. June 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Those look wonderful. And I love the cookie cutter tip. What a great idea.

14. Logan permalink
    June 12, 2013 2:56 pm

That sounds amazing! I love mangoes and ginger so this is right up my alley! I also love to imagine ways to seasonalize recipes, so I’m imagining this recipe with a touch of molasses in the cookies and pumpkin ice cream instead of mango for a autumnal twist.

15. June 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Great idea! This makes me sad I don’t have an ice cream maker yet. But I’ll have to to try those cookies because I love the molasses version.

16. June 13, 2013 11:30 am

These look gorgeous! The ice cream – yum, but the cookies look doubly delish!
    I’ve got both mango and coconut ice creams on my to do list so this post is a real boost to do those :)

17. June 15, 2013 6:17 am

This is my first visit to your blog and I am in awe of all the gorgeous recipes and pictures. The Ice cream sandwich looks decadent, want to reach out and just pick one up. Love it.

18. June 17, 2013 2:25 pm

That is so uncool (yet flattering) that a company would sell your photos without your permission. How did you find out? Your images are exquisite, but still. Not cool. Hope this week is better than the last.

This ice cream sounds soooo good, and the cookies seem like the perfect vehicle. I’m a total ginger freak, and that ingredient list looks killer. Mmmm. I should not read your blog when I’m hungry, it’s pure torture. :)

June 17, 2013 2:31 pm

A fellow photographer tipped me off to the stolen photo (it’s one of my nature photos, not one from this site). I’m so grateful photographers are such a friendly bunch! And yes, things are better and my pity party is over now. :) If you love ginger, you’ll love those cookies for sure!

19. June 17, 2013 8:29 pm

These look absolutely delicious! Definitely going to have to make these!

20. June 24, 2013 10:02 am

I love the combination of tropical flavors with the ginger! Ginger plus fruit flavor equals refreshing. :) Chewy cookies are my favorite and are perfect for ice cream sandwiches.

21. June 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Cutting out perfect circles of ice cream with a cookie cutter… THAT IS GENIUS! Why did I never think of that.. Thank you for the tip!